Wednesday, 19 October 2011
Occupy Newcastle - show your support
Inspired by the growing 'Occupy Wall Street' movement in the U.S, across the weekend more than 950 protests took place in over 80 countries. In the City of London thousands descended on the Square Mile - under the banner 'Occupy the Stock Exchange' - for a peaceful protest against the global financial system.
At least 100 people turned up for the Occupy Newcastle demonstration on Saturday lunchtime. Many of them are now involved in an ongoing occupation at Grey's Monument. Coalition of Resistance supporters participated on Saturday and we got a great reponse to our stall, from fellow protestors and the wider public. We support the ongoing action.
Jon, a Coalition of Resistance activist, is at the Monument round the clock and is helping get the message out. He's sent us this request:
"Please show your support by visiting the occupation - everyone who is camped here appreciates people coming along and talking with us, expressing support and so on. We've had a great response from the public, with lots of people stopping and asking us questions, discussing the issues. Even if you only have 10 minutes to spare, please stop by!"
1. You can also send messages of support to this email address - email@example.com - and we will pass them on.
2. We encourage you to post messages of support & solidarity via the facebook groups for Occupy Newcastle: http://goo.gl/0bmAE or here: http://goo.gl/3Cvya
3. Visit the website: http://occupynewcastle.org/
4. You can contact the Occupy Newcastle group via Twitter too: http://twitter.com/#!/OccupyNewcastle
5. Photos here: http://www.demotix.com/news/881817/anti-capitalist-protesters-continue-rally-newcastle-upon-tyne
This Saturday (22 October) is also a great chance to show support, and make the connections between different campaigns. Coalition of Resistance supports the Hardest Hit march and rally in Newcastle - raising awareness of the impact of cuts on disabled people - and we will also be raising solidarity with Occupy Newcastle.
Saturday 22 October - 10.30am assemble for march to Monument, rally at 11.30am
Hardest Hit march and rally in Newcastle - http://goo.gl/9VCj0
SPEAKERS: MP for Wansbeck Ian Lavery, Clare Williams from the Northern Public Services Alliance, Kevin Rowan the TUC Regional Secretary
Coalition of Resistance is supporting, and helping organise, a series of events between now and 30 November - a day of resistance for everyone. We will be circulating further information about events soon. This Saturday - Hardest Hit and Occupy Newcastle - is the next important step.