Pages

Friday 30 April 2010

A 'presidential' election?

An interesting exchange today with one of my Year 8 pupils (12/13 years old). "What is this election anyway? I don't really get it", she said.

So I explained that each area elects an MP and they go to the House of Commons, we have 2 or 3 MPs here in Gateshead, there's another 2 or 3 in Newcastle, and around the country there are over 600. Each MP is a member of a political party, which mostly means the big 3 parties of Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats, but there's also smaller parties. So, when people vote they are probably voting for someone because of the party they are in.

She paused and there was a look of understanding mixed with a little surprise, then she said "Oh, I see. I thought it was just to decide who the next Prime Minister is."

No comments:

Post a Comment