Saturday, 19 December 2009
Children of Gaza
See HERE for an insightful and moving report on the effects of Israel's military assualt - which began on 27 December 2008 - on the children of Gaza.
The 23-day war in numbers (statistics from the Gaza Community Mental Health Programme):
• 1,420 Palestinians killed, 446 of them children
• 5,320 injured, 1,855 of them children
• 4,000 houses destroyed; 16,000 houses damaged
• 94.6% of children aged six-17 heard the sound of sonic jetfighters; 91.7% of them heard shelling by artillery; 92% saw mutilated bodies on TV
• 80% were deprived of water or electricity; 50.7% left home for a safer place
• 25.9% report one symptom of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; 39.3% report more than one symptom; 9.8% report full criteria of PTSD
Join the vigil - end the siege of Gaza - on 27 December outside Israeli Embassy in London. See HERE for more.