Pages

Friday 4 March 2011

Daily Star journalist to Richard Desmond: "I see a cascade of shit pirouetting from your penthouse office"

Daily Star owner Richard Desmond
Daily Star reporter Richard Peppiatt has resigned in protest at the paper's anti-Muslim propaganda. Read Peppiatt's letter of resignation, addressed to Star proprietor Richard Desmond. It includes this:

'When I was ordered to wear a burkha in public for the day, I asked: "Just a head scarf or full veil?" Even after being ambushed by anti-terror cops when panicked Londoners reported "a bloke pretending to be a Muslim woman", I didn't complain. Mercifully, I'd discovered some backbone by the time I was told to find some burkha-clad shoppers (spot the trend?) to pose with for a picture – dressed in just a pair of skintight M&S underpants.

Forget journalistic merit, I heard this was just an ill-conceived ploy to land an advertising contract with the chain. Admittedly, that was unusual. Often we hacks write vacuous puff pieces about things you own. Few would deny there's one hell of an incestuous orgy of cross-promotion to leer at down at Northern & Shell HQ.

Never mind that it insults the intelligence of amoebas when your readers are breathlessly informed the week's telly highlights include OK! TV and the Vanessa Feltz Show.

I suspect you see a perfect circle. I see a downward spiral. I see a cascade of shit pirouetting from your penthouse office, caking each layer of management, splattering all in between.'

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment